Thursday, June 14, 2012

Audacity: The Art of Boldness

Shannon:
August 1, 2009

Today I started a daily tradition that I believe I will continue. I looked up the synonyms for the word “boldness”. I loved the list of words that came up. Also in my search for boldness, synonyms for the words “audacity”, “chutzpah”, and ”assurance” came up as associated words with boldness. Here are some of my favorite synonyms under boldness, audacity, and assurance:
  1. Chutzpah
  2. Courage
  3. Daring
  4. Dauntlessness
  5. Determination
  6. Aplomb
  7. Faith
  8. Poise
  9. Trust
  10. Valor
I have had blessed assurance through my diagnosis, subsequent tests, surgeries, and treatment. I also had boldness when talking and dealing with my doctors. I find that I am going to need audacity when I have to do some of the things that make me feel a little foolish. Some of the things that might make me feel a little foolish are the precautions I now have to take.

There are many precautions that you have to take when you have had an ancillary lymph node dissection (removal of the lymph nodes). My lymph node dissection was on my right side under my arm so some of my precautions are related specifically to the right arm. Here is a very helpful link to the precautionshttp://www.breastcancer.org/tips/lymphedema/avoid.jsp .

The risk of infection is the main reason for many of the precautions listed. So now I need to avoid being poked, bitten, scratched or cut now. So with this in mind here comes my need for audacity. I went to a crab-feast today. Now anyone who has ever picked steamed crabs knows that you get tiny little cuts all over your hands. So to prevent myself from getting lymphedema I have to wear a glove on my right hand.


Maryland Steamed Crab...Yum!

So here I am. Yes, I got laughed at a little, but the same audacity that allows me to wear neon pink maryjane stilettos allows me to rock my new look. I have to say that I wish I wore a glove on the other hand as well. I did not get any cuts on the hand I wore the glove on and when I was finished I just wipped off the glove and viola! Finished.

I of course tied in my outfit so that I matched my glove. I wore a bright blue lace cami under this top and a blue and silver tooled leather belt. My shoes unfortunately were downgraded to mere flip flops…it is a dirty crabfeast after all!


No matter how silly you may feel the most important thing is to enjoy yourself and your time with your family and friends and of course to do it with style!

No comments:

Post a Comment